Sunday, November 9, 2008

So, when are you getting married?

I still can't believe that...
my mom's getting married again
---for the second time
---before my sister
---before me (I don't even have a boyfriend!)
---before everyone else! (my still single cousins and friends)

And that my sister's engaged to be married next year!

And the fact that they're both in a long distance relationship which they manage to be successful in, i mean it actually works for them! They're marrying guys they met while on vacation in some foreign country (Damn! I should've gone with them on that trip!) And to top it all off they received their marriage proposals on the first date! I never believed in love at first sight but I guess it does happen---for some people!
Meanwhile, I didn't even last a month in my first (and only attempt) on a long distance relationship... or any functional relationship for that matter...

I started hearing the question "So, when are you getting married?" when I turned 22. I used to just dismiss the question with a I'm-still-too-young-to-get-married reply. As the years added on more people started bugging me with the same question but it never bothered me and I didn't really care because getting married was so far down in my To-Do List.

However, when I turned 25 last year that's when I started feeling the pressure from that one person who will remind you of your "single status" everytime someone else gets married or have a baby---my mom! (and I know that all single women would agree with me on this one) She kept talking about how she doesn't want to be too old when she becomes a grandma and that at this age I should at least be married or have a kid--- like my friends or the daughters of her friends!

And now that they're both getting married soon, more and more people are asking me the million-dollar question! I mean, seriously! Just because my mom and sister are tying the knot am I also expected to do the same? It's like society expects me to follow a certain fad. Like, the skinny jeans for example--- that's practically the only type of jeans they sell in stores these days! But, what about those people whose legs aren't skinny enough? You can't make them fit into skinny jeans just because that's what everybody is wearing. Much like, you can't expect everyone to be married in their 20's just because that's what everyone is doing!

Anyway, they're both marrying Australian citizens so that means they're moving down under very soon... So where does that leave me? Of course my mom wants me to go with them.

But...

I wanna travel the world-- live for a year in Greece, then Brazil, maybe another year in Japan or Morocco, then backpack thru Europe...

My mom isn't so happy about my plans of not getting married anytime soon or prolly never or of me not wanting to have kids... she says "i'm being selfish" meaning I'm depriving her of the joys of being a grandma. She just couldn't understand that marriage is not the end all and be all of life and that marriage could possibly be just NOT for me...

I'm not saying that I'm never getting married, ever! But, I just don't want to rush things. I want to take my time. I still have so many things I want to do with my life and places I want to see. I'm also not yet ready, emotionally, physically and financially for a lifetime commitment. I've seen so many failed marriages from my own family and friends that i don't want to settle for "Mr. Right Now". I'd rather be single forever than be stuck in a miserable marriage for the rest of my life.

I've been praying where the Lord wants me to go, if it's Australia then my visa application will get approved and everything will just fall into place but if not...then maybe...

I'll just join the Amazing Race Asia and finally use my passport! I'm sick of flying domestic!

So for now my only plan is to wait...I don't really know what's in store for me--- relationship-wise... career-wise...or geography-wise...

No comments:

Post a Comment