Sunday, November 23, 2008

Return of the EX-men

One of the many down sides of having dated a string of guys and ending up being friends with only one of them is you're bound to run into one (or if you're unlucky two) of those that you're not friends with. In short---->the guys/jerks you're hoping you'll never have to see again for the rest of your life-ever!

As I was waiting for a parking space last Friday I saw in my rear view mirror a familiar figure lurking behind my car. The day I have been dreading finally came. You see, I was at this mall where we used to always go to on our dates. A month ago he told me (via YM) that he saw my car parked at that mall so I knew that I was bound to see him there one of these days.

I decided to pretend that I did not see him. My heart was racing. I felt a ton of mixed emotions. I was nervous, panicking and part of me wanted to get out of my car and kick his sorry ass! Yes, I hate the dude. You would understand if you knew what he did to me but that's a whole other blog and my one year on-off relationship with him is not really worth writing about.

I was hoping and praying that he would just magically disappear. But when I turned my head to see if he's gone I saw his eyes staring straight at mine. I had no choice but to at least acknowledge his existence. Plus, I was in a hurry and I badly needed a parking space.

I rolled down my window and asked, "Are you leaving? Can I park at your spot?"

"Yeah, I was just leaving. I'm parked over there".

He started walking toward his car ever so slowly. A turtle can crawl faster than him! Then I saw a vacant spot right across his car. Naturally, that's where I immediately parked my car. As I was getting off, he drove past me... Did not even stop or roll down his window.

Yup! I should've just pretended that I didn't know him. I never should've rolled down my window even if I was in The Amazing Race and he was my only chance of winning!

The next day, I saw another guy from my better-forgotten past. He was the photographer at my mom's wedding. I made a deal with my mom that I would only allow him to be the photographer at her wedding if he's the last person on earth who knows how to take pictures or if he'll offer his services for free.

And he did. Much to my surprise and dismay. I never really expected he would do it for free! I haven't seen or talked to him in months. Our relationship didn't end well. He started dating a girl he just met a day after we broke up. He never introduced me to his family or to anyone as his girlfriend, I was just "Michelle". When we're around my friends or family he would be all over me but when we were around his own family and friends he would let go of my hand like I have something contagious.

He told my mom that he's doing it for free for me. Seriously?!

Kids, I think the lesson here is this: if you're afraid to run into guys you never wanna see again-ever! then stop jumping from one guy to another. Having a long list of guys you've dated doesn't make you any hotter. It also doesn't make you a relationship expert. It makes you a failed-relationships expert.

And it only makes you wish that you listened to the wise counsel of your parents, pastor or youth leader when they told you to wait patiently for the person God has preapred for you. Don't ruin God's elaborate plan of giving you someone amazing by giving guys who don't even deserve you a chance. Save your heart for that one person, he'll be worth the wait.

Take it from the failed-relationships expert.

I wish I didn't date around too much. I wish I waited.

No comments:

Post a Comment