Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Escape from Reality 2: The Adventures of Michy and Moira


Someone once told me that "Boracay is soooo overrated!" But, I beg to differ.

I wasn't really looking forward to going back to Boracay for the third time last year because well....I'm kinda sick of it! I wanted to go somewhere I haven't traveled to like Bohol or Palawan or Pagudpud. But my mom insisted on going to that overcrowded, garbage littered, overrated little island they call paradise. And so I went for the nth time with my parents and cousin/best friend/twin sister. I didn't expect too much from that vacation, wasn't really excited about it but I guess when you really less expect it life can sometimes surprise you!

Our first surprise was at Microtel Inn & Suites where we stayed at. It's located on what they call Station Zero or Diniwid Beach. It's this isolated part of the island separated from the long stretch of 4-km white sand beach by a huge rock formation. It felt like we were on a private island! It wasn't crowded unlike on the white beach where there are too many people walking around while you're lounging by the beach. The hotel shuttle was waiting for us at the port jetty. This was a nice surprise for me because I don't have to go on a bumpy tricycle ride where I always have the fear that I'm gonna fall off when I ride at the back! When we arrived, the hotel staff welcomed us with drinks, cold towels and a shell necklace! All of them were so friendly and helpful. They would greet all their guests with a warm smile even if they're just walking by, offer fresh beach towels and attend to our needs. Definitely exceeding customer expectations! Kudos to the staff of Microtel Inn & Suites Boracay! Now, this is what a vacation should be like!

I made sure this Boracay trip would be adventure-packed because I thought to myself that the only way I would enjoy my vacation is to do things I haven't done before. So, on my first day I went parasailing---a once in a lifetime experience that was supposed to last for 15 minutes but I only lasted 10 because I seriously thought I was gonna die up there! It's something I've always wanted to do but I'm not someone who would spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that could actually kill me! It was such an awesome feeling to be so high up and feel like I'm the king of the world but as soon as the excitement died down from all the shouting I did (which happened after 5 minutes) I suddenly realized that anything can happen. I could plummet to my death with just one snap of the rope! I realized that I rushed into it without really thinking about the down side. All I saw at first was how cool it was gonna be. But when fear and doubt started creeping in that's when I realized that I wanted to stop. Just like that.

Much like what I do in life. Most of the decisions I made were done impulsively. Often, I would be blinded by how shiny a relationship looks at first. And when the glitter wears off revealing the person's flaws and imperfections I start to doubt my feelings and intentions. And then I bail! Just like that. And then I jump into the next brand spankin' shiny new relationship. The cycle never ends. No wonder I'm still single! But then again, at least I don't regret going parasailing because that's just an awesome experience I'll never forget... unlike the jerks I dated!

On our second day, we went on an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) ride which my cousin calls Alternative Terrain Vehicle. We rode up to Mt. Luho, the highest peak in Boracay which also happens to be on the other side of the white beach. I've been on the island like 6 times already but I haven't seen the other side of it. It was breathtaking! It doesn't look like Boracay at all! 'Twas like a totally different place.

Sometimes we live our whole lives looking at things the same way. It was what we grew up knowing so we stick to what we know, to what's familiar, to what's comfortable. But growing up means opening your eyes to other possibilities and ideas, that other people could be right. It doesn't hurt to look at the other side-- of the story, of things, of people. Try looking at things differently like through the eyes of another person. You never know, you might actually discover something pretty amazing!

On our third day we went underwater helmet diving. Apparently this water sport is pretty new to the island and of course I just had to try it! We put on this helmet that's 25kg on land and 1kg underwater. We walked on the sea floor while feeding the fishes and posing endlessly infront of the waterproof camera. On a scale of 1 to Awesome it was definitely awesome!

In the afternoon, we went on a sunset paraw sail. Watching the sun go down in the middle of the sea while sitting on a net and dangling our feet in the water was a different way of savoring the romantic sunset Boracay is famous for. What a perfect way to end such a beautiful vacation.

Now you may think that all those adventures would be the highlight of my trip. But wait! There's more!

The highlight of my Boracay trip was doing all those awesome stuff, taking fabulous pictures and experiencing new things with my cousin/bestfriend/twin sister, Monmon a.k.a Moira. I wouldn't have that much fun if he wasn't there with me. We definitely had a blast! We laughed hysterically 90% of the time at anything and everything!

The best part was that one time where it rained so hard it seemed like the whole ocean was poured on the island. We stopped for shelter at a restaurant while waiting for the rain to stop but the hotel shuttle was supposed to pick us up. Because we didn't want to be left behind by the shuttle we braved through the pouring rain. We couldn't stop laughing along the way because we only had a sarong as our cover and it got soaked as soon as we stepped out into the rain. So it was pretty much useless but we kept walking on. And then just when we were a few feet from our destination, a strong wind blew away our only cover from the unforgiving outpour of rain. Now, instead of Monmon picking it up he just kept laughing! And I found it funny that he wasn't doing anything that I just stood there laughing as well! When we got to the waiting area the rain suddenly stopped and we found out that our shuttle would be 15 minutes late because the rain flooded the only street going to the hotel so he's stuck in traffic! If only we waited for the rain stop... then we wouldn't have that much fun!

Much like what I do in life. Although I panic and stress a lot when I'm stuck in a difficult situation I always make sure that at least I make the most of my predicament or turn it into a positive experience (see....I'm not all damaged and broken!). However bleak your circumstance may look like there's always a bright side to it and there's always a chance for you to make it sunshiny happy. Decision lang 'yan! (It's your decision) You can choose to be miserable or you can choose to be happy---one of the things I'm continually and painfully learning through the heartbreaking process of guy-jumping resulting into failed relationships. But, I'm glad I'm learning. I'm learning not to depend my happiness on people (particularly men) and on my circumstance but instead I find my joy and stength in the Lord.

There's always new things to do in Boracay. There's always new experiences waiting for you on that tropical paradise inspite the fact that people say it's overrated and it's not all that. Yes, the millions of tourists and influx of foreign investors building hotels after hotels might have polluted and damaged the once untouched, unparalleled beauty that is Boracay. But I am still drawn to the powdery white sand that remains cool inspite the scorching heat of the sun, clear blue waters and equally blue skies that only Boracay has. And with so much things you can do in land, air and water---sports, shopping, food, night life--you'll never run out of fun things to do!

I also made new friends on this trip, particularly with the locals. On one of our long walks from Diniwid to the white beach we ran into a 9-year old boy and asked him if he thinks it'll rain that afternoon. We ended up having a conversation with him about life in Boracay. I said that I envy him because he gets to live by the beach and he said that he's sick of it and thinks that life in the city is way better. Ironic huh? Then one afternoon we also met Madeline, the 14-year old girl who braided my hair. She has been braiding hair since she was 8. Everyday, she would go straight from school to the white beach and convince tourists to get their hair braided. Madeline has 8 siblings, her mother does other people's laundry for a living and her father is unemployed so she relies on whatever she earns from braiding to help with her family's finances. Sometimes we would play frisbee or just hang out with some locals and foreigners. All the people we encountered on that island were really friendly. This trip was like experiencing Boracay for the first time all over again! Not only will I take home wonderful memories, pictures and videos with me but each time I visit the island I always discover something new about myself.

Of course this is a certified beach bum talking. Even if my itinerary is not jam-packed with activities I could just lounge around by the beach listening to the waves, soaking in the sun, burrying my feet in the cool powdery white sand and diving into the cool blue water all day! What made my Escape from Reality legendary was spending it in style and flair with someone equally awesome!

As Monmon would say it, "What are the beaches for but to beetch around with your fellow beetches!"

No comments:

Post a Comment